Adult Field Courses
Grandfather Mountain’s Adult Field Course series offers participants the chance to explore the mountain like never before. Students examine speciﬁc aspects of the park ecosystem through fun, hands-on ﬁeld excursions. Course leaders are experts in their ﬁelds and include professors, naturalists, scientists and acclaimed photographers, writers, historians and artists.
The series runs from April through October, with topics including bird ecology and behavior, ecology, photography, painting, climate change and stargazing. Cost is $60 per person (or $25 for members of Grandfather Mountain’s Bridge Club program), with registration required in advance.
Most courses run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., unless otherwise stated, and participants are asked to bring their own lunch to be eaten in the field.
This year’s field course offerings are as follows. For more information, or to register, click the links below:
- Owl Identification & Behavior on Grandfather Mountain – March 28, 2020
- Advanced Birding: Spring Migration – April 25, 2020
- Sunrise & Landscape Photography on Grandfather Mountain – May 2, 2020
- Spring Sketching on Grandfather Mountain – May 9, 2020
- Natural Communities on Grandfather Mountain – Aug. 1, 2020
- The Artist’s Workshop: Late Summer Sketching – Sept. 12, 2020
- The Changing Climate & Grandfather Mountain – Sept. 19, 2020
- Grandfather’s Starry Skies – Oct. 24, 2020