Oct. 25 – Sunshine and seasonable temperatures today at Grandfather Mountain. You’ll drive through a lot of color in the foothills along your way to Grandfather Mountain, and once you get here you will have a superior vantage point for photographing color in the valleys. Today’s photograph by Helen Moss Davis shows the view from Grandfather’s MacRae Peak.
The best route for leaf-looking continues to be the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Virginia – but the trees with the most color will be below 3,000 feet.
Other colorful routes are:
- US 221 from Marion to Linville Falls
- US 321 from Hickory to Blowing Rock and Boone to Elizabethton, TN
- US 421 from North Wilkesboro to Boone and Boone to Mountain City, TN
- NC 181 from Morganton to Jonas Ridge
- US 19E from Elizabethton, TN to Elk Park.