Oct. 30 – A cold, clear morning on Grandfather today. It was too windy for a bonfire last night, so those who attended the Spooky Stroll got to listen to ghost stories around a camp fire at the Let It Rain Picnic Shelter. Today’s photography by Helen Moss Davis shows one last oak tree at the Half Moon Overlook that has been able to hold on to its crimson leaves.
The best route for leaf-looking continues to be the Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee to Virginia – but the trees with the most color will be below 3,000 feet.
Other places to look for color are:
- US 221 from Marion to Linville Falls
- US 321 from Hickory to Blowing Rock and Boone to Elizabethton, TN
- US 421 from North Wilkesboro to Boone and Boone to Mountain City, TN
- NC 181 from Morganton to Jonas Ridge
- US 19E from Elizabethton, TN to Elk Park.