Oct. 29 – This photograph by Monty Combs shows the snow and rime ice that covered the trees near the Swinging Bridge this morning. The Beary Scary Halloween celebration is in full swing. Be certain your kids are bundled up in their costumes because temperatures are below freezing. For those planning to attend the first ever Bonfire Bash, it will be a COLD, SPOOKY night on the mountain!
Oct 29 Beary Scary Halloween 10:00-3:20 Kids in costumes admitted half price.
Oct 29 Bonfire Bash and Spooky Stroll 7-9 pm. Participants must be 12 years of age or older. Space is limited and reservations are required. Phone 828-733-8715.
The best route for leaf-looking continues to be the Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee to Virginia – but the trees with the most color will be below 3,000 feet.
Other places to look for color are:
- US 221 from Marion to Linville Falls
- US 321 from Hickory to Blowing Rock and Boone to Elizabethton, TN
- US 421 from North Wilkesboro to Boone and Boone to Mountain City, TN
- NC 181 from Morganton to Jonas Ridge
- US 19E from Elizabethton, TN to Elk Park.