Oct. 14 – It is windy, windy, windy at Grandfather today and the top of the mountain is closed to visitors. Winds are sustained at 55 mph and have gusted to almost 90 mph. Lots of leaves are finding their way to the ground, but in the lower elevations like Boone, Valle Crucis and Foscoe where today’s photograph was taken, there is still a lot of color to enjoy.
The best route for color right now is the Blue Ridge Parkway from Spruce Pine to Virginia.
Other colorful routes are
- NC 105 from Linville to Boone,
- NC 184 from Tynecastle to Banner Elk,
- Beech Mountain Parkway to the top of Beech Mountain,
- NC 181 from Jonas Ridge to Newland,
- NC 194 from Elk Park to Banner Elk (road construction between Banner Elk and Valle Crucis),
- US 19E from Spruce Pine to Cranberry, US 321 from Boone to Watauga Lake and US 421 from Boone north to Trade, TN.