Oct. 19 – It is a foggy, rainy, but still relatively warm day at Grandfather Mountain. We expect temperatures to fall in the afternoon with chances of snow showers developing tonight. Today’s photograph by Helen Moss Davis was taken in the 3,000-foot elevations of Pisgah National Forest to the south of Grandfather.
The wind and rain has beaten most of the leaves to the ground in the high elevations above 3500 feet. The best route for color continues to be the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Virginia – but the trees with the most color will be below 3,700 feet.
Other colorful routes are:
- NC 105 from Foscoe to Boone
- NC 181 from Morganton to Jonas Ridge
- US 19E from Spruce Pine to Hampton, TN
- US 321 from Lenoir to Watauga Lake
- US 221 from Marion to Linville Falls
- US 421 from North Wilkesboro to Trade, TN