Click here to see the rest of the 2011 Fall color Gallery.
Oct. 20 – A cold front blew through yesterday and temperatures today are in the 30s. There are not a lot of leaves left on the trees above 3500 feet, and the leaves that do remain are on the rusty, brown end of the spectrum. Skies are clearing and there is sun in the forecast for the weekend. Today’s photograph of the peaks of Grandfather was taken by Helen Moss Davis from Linville Bluffs on Grandfather.
The best route for color continues to be the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Virginia – but the trees with the most color will be below 3,700 feet. Other colorful routes are:
- NC 105 from Foscoe to Boone
- NC 181 from Morganton to Jonas Ridge
- US 19E from Spruce Pine to Hampton, TN
- US 321 from Lenoir to Watauga Lake
- US 221 from Marion to Linville Falls
- US 421 from North Wilkesboro to Trade, TN